Whether it’s a response to a community need or a new business idea, Think Globally, Act Locally, connects a kid’s creativity to real-world math skills and empowers them to make a plan and have an impact.
Using new, developing skills in the real-world motivates kids to dig deeper and makes learning and school feel relevant. In this project, kids practice important skills:
- Interpreting Data/ Information
- Making Connections and Inferences
- Justifying/ Constructing an Explanation
- Designing Processes and Procedures
In addition, they’ll encounter basic components of math literacy, including the following:
|Numbers and Operations||Fractions, decimals, and equivalence |
Percentages, proportions, and ratios
|Algebra||Patterns & relationships|
Use variables to represent quantities, solve multi-step problems
|Geometry||Coordinate plane and introductory graphing |
Modeling using pie charts, donut charts, and stacked bar graphs
|Measurement||Dot plots, bar graphs, tables|
Frequency tables, histograms
|Data Analysis & Probability||Dot plots, bar graphs, tables|
Measures of center, range, comparative inferences
UNBOXED Projects consist of two downloadables:
- The project, a pdf slide presentation, which walks a kid through the project with general instruction and steps to complete. An older child should be able to use this document to understand what to do and when to do it. Younger kids may need additional assistance from an adult.
- Learning Support Tools (LST) are designed to provide kids additional support for carrying out the challenges in the project. These tools offer more detailed instructions to support kids’ thinking about the different tasks needed to complete each step. Not every step of the project needs a Learning Support Tool, and not every kid will need the support of every tool offered here. For those that do, these additional explanations, activities, guides, and examples can help accelerate learning.
Projects are designed to be completed over the course of a month, and are the perfect centerpiece for a celebration of learning. Download the project and LST and dive in!